Lightweight and Ultralightweight Backpacking
The View from Here
|INTRODUCTION BACKPACK PACKING FOOD GEAR LISTS 10 ESSENTIALS PRODUCTS LINKS VIDEO SITE|
The 10 Essentials|
10 Essentials: shelter tarps and tents
Every one of the shelters I list weigh less two pounds or less.
The heaviest shelters I list include the 30.3 oz Terra Laser Competition 1 double-wall tent and the 32 oz Six Moon Designs Haven Tarp and Haven NetTent and the 33 oz MSR Twin Sisters shelter.
Tent or tarp size is a "good fit" if you and your sleeping bag do not touch the interior wall. But that is true for every shelter for backpacking.
Many of the modern tents have a rainfly that may be closed down to the ground to achieve the benefits of a double-wall tent and offer the option of putting up either the rainfly or the tent or both rainfly and tent.
Few achieve this weight: pitch the rainfly and footprint.
I have additional durable lightweight shelter alternatives including the hammock shelter systems, no longer limited to use in the tropics, for consideration at Products: gear.
Many of the shelters I list can be set up to be somewhat open to reflect heat from a warming fire, or, closed down to the ground to retain warmth and still have reasonable interior height for changing clothing, yet, are lightweight and even ultralightweight shelter and pack down to a small volume.
Make your choice among the many lightweight options available today.
May I suggest you make the initial comparisons online?
Here is my list for online comparison shopping:
- Oware, Spinnaker Flat Tarp 1.0 5x8' Tarp 4 oz
- Oware, Flat Tarp 1.0 5x8' Tarp 6.75 oz
- Oware, CatBird TM 1 Tarp, with beak 6.5 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Patrol Shelter Solo 8 oz
- Oware, Cat Tarp 8 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Grace SilNylon Tarp 8.5 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Monk Tarp SilNylon Tarp 8.9 oz
- Oware, AsymTarp1 Tarp 9 oz
- Oware, Cattarp1.5 TM Tarp 9 oz
- Oware, CatBirdTarp TM 2 Tarp, with beak 9 oz
- Oware, FlatTarp1.5 6x8' Tarp 10 oz
- Gossamer Gear, Spinn-Shelter
shelter 10.7 oz
- Kifaru, Para Tarp 11 oz
- Kifaru, ParaHootch Shelter 11 oz
- Six Moon Designs, Gatewood Cape shelter 11 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Grace Duo SilNylon Tarp 13 oz
- Six Moon Designs, Wild Oasis shelter 13 oz
- Integral Designs, Silshelter tarp 16.5 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, TrailStar Shelter 17 oz
- Gossamer Gear, The One shelter 18.3 oz
- Black Diamond, Beta Light shelter 19 oz
- Oware, Flat tarp 1.0 tarp 23 oz
- Terra Nova, Bivi Tarp Bivi Tarp 25 oz
- TiGoat, Bug Net Bivy 5.3 oz
- Oware, Bivysack Hot Weather Bivy 5.5 oz
- Oware, Bivysack Drawcord Closure Small Bivy 5.6 oz
- TiGoat, Ptarmigan Bivy 5.8 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Bug Bivy 6 oz
- Mountain Laurel Designs, Superlight Bivy 6.5 oz
- Six Moon Designs, Meteor Bivy 7 oz
- TiGoat, Raven Omni Bivy 7.2 oz
- Adventure Medical Kits, SOL Thermal Bivvy 8.1 oz
- Adventure Medical Kits, Escape Bivvy 8.5 oz
- Oware, Bivysack Standard Zip Regular Length Bivy 9 oz
- Bibler, Winter bivy 9.8 oz
- Oware, Bivysack Standard Zip Long Length Bivy 12 oz
- Outdoor Research, Bug Bivy 16 oz
- Rab, Storm Bivi 17 oz
- Integral Designs, Micro Bivy 18.5 oz
- Integral Designs, South Col, eVENT version Bivy 22 oz
- Outdoor Research, MicroNight Bivy 22.4 oz
- Integral Designs, Bugaboo Bivy 23 oz
- Black Diamond, Bibler Hooped Bivy 22 oz
- Black Diamond, Biber Big Wall Bivy 26 oz
- Integral Designs, Backcountry Bivy 27.2 oz
- Six Moon Designs, Lunar Solo tent 23 oz
- Tarptent, Contrail tarptent 24.5 oz
- Terra Nova, Laser Photon 1 Tent 25.4 oz
- Tarptent, Notch tarptent 26 oz
- LightHeart Gear, The LightHeart Tent 27 oz
copyright © 2017 Connie Dodson. All Rights Reserved.